P. O. Box 6 | Ochlocknee, GA  31773  | 


About UsAvailable HorsesFriends of DCFHR
Photo Scrapbook
Sponsor a Horse
Golden Oldie BandGreen Banana Herd
How You Can Help
Success Stories
Membership Form
Donation Policy
Pre-Adoption Form
Adoption FormThe Library
Rainbow Bridge
Contact Us


Princess Princess was one of the original horses that began Dancing Cloud Farm Horse Rescue, Inc.  She arrived at DCFHR with her mother, both starved.  Princess was a black roan foal and yearling, and then, when she shed her winter fur in 2011, here was this beautiful dappled gray coat!  Princess, now called "Princess Lucy," has been adopted by Jan and lives near Griffin, Georgia, and has her own starring role on Jan’s family’s Christmas cards!

Misty &
Mama mare Misty came to DCFHR in the winter of 2012 from a law enforcement seizure.  Along with other horses, she had been abandoned by her owner and was destined for the slaughter truck when DCFHR picked her up.  One month later, one frosty Sunday morning, Phoenix was born.  Misty and Phoenix have been adopted and now live in Wyoming.


Diva Diva  Beautiful quarter horse mare "Diva" was adopted by Rene of Thomas County, Georgia.  Diva is an excellent trail horse and has been Rene's #1 ride on trails in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama.


Ziva This beautiful walking horse mare came to DCFHR as a wormy, starved, sick girl.  Many, MANY thanks to Lena and Sherri of Lake City, Florida, who fostered Ziva for almost a year, bringing her back to health, working with her using Parelli techniques, and restoring this mare to the condition she should have been all along.  Ziva has been adopted by Shannon in Thomasville, Georgia, and is a beloved pet as well as Shannon's trail horse extradordinaire!


Freckles Donkey Freckles has been adopted by Kelsey in Gadsden County, Florida.

Star :Mustang mare "Star" has been adopted by Savannah of Grady County, Georgia.

Daisy This beautiful registered quarter horse mare did not perform like the owners wanted her to, so they quit feeding her.  Winter fur makes it difficult for anyone to judge a horse's BCS (Body Condition Score) from a distance. This mare was a poor BCS 2. (Veterinarians judge a horse's condition on scale of 1-9 with a 9 being obese, a 4-5 is usually a good weight/condition, and a 1 would be a starved walking skeleton. When the "shelf" appears above the rib cage, as with this horse, that immediately denotes it as a BCS 2 and critically starved.  These photos show Daisy when she first arrived at DCFHR and again about two months later.  One thing Daisy loved:  her soaked beet pulp and alfalfa “soup”!  Daisy has found her new home at a farm near Shelbyville, Tennessee.  Many thanks to Horse Carriage Transport of Lake City, Florida, for their professional trailering services.)



Eli was our first cryptorchid stallion.  We owe a huge debt of thanks to the DCFHR supporters who donated especially for his “brain surgery” to become a gelding.  Eli had lived alone for two years in a 50’ x 50’ manure and mud-filled pen; the owner no longer wanted Eli and gave him to DCFHR friends who took him in and began Eli’s refeeding.  Eli has been adopted by Scott in Alachua County, Florida.


Cheyenne This horse’s story is DCFHR’s fairy tale.  She is our Cinderella.  Cheyenne was one of several starved horses taken in a law enforcement seizure during winter.  Because she was due to foal at any time, DCFHR friend and supporter Rene took Cheyenne to her barn where Cheyenne could have a large, warm stall and a quieter, calmer environment to have her foal. Because of Cheyenne’s critically starved condition, we also knew it was best for Cheyenne to be closer to a veterinarian.  Five days after the seizure, Cheyenne foaled baby Lincoln, a miraculously healthy foal.  Rene fell in love with Lincoln and adopted him.  Cheyenne came to DCFHR and has been adopted by Janet in Colquitt County, Georgia, and Cheyenne has become Janet’s BFF! 


Lincoln This is Cheyenne’s foal, now almost three years old and adopted by Rene of Thomasville, Georgia.


Shelby Shelby arrived at DCFHR in the nick of time.  We were told by someone who knew the horse before she had been sold that she had been beautiful the summer before; someone bought her from a backyard breeder who had kept the mare with a stud.  The new owner moved to another state for work and left this mare in a pasture with a herd of cows.  She starved.  In December, someone who was checking up on the cows saw a weak foal trying to stand by the mare's side.  Because of the mare's starved condition, the foal was born starved and died shortly afterward.  With no other horses around and no food, this mare continued to decline.  She was probably depressed in addition to being starved.  But, thanks to our supporters, we were able to say “yes” when asked if we could take in this horse.  We named her "Shelby" after the character on Steel Magnolias; Shelby stayed with us for almost a year, blossomed into a big, beautiful chestnut mare, and was adopted by Jeannette at Lodestar Farm in Grady County, Georgia. 


Capri With the joys and successes of rescuing and rehabilitating horses and seeing them go to wonderful new homes also come a few heartaches, horses that we can’t save.  One of the hardest things we have to do is euthanize a horse because of a terminal condition that makes it unadoptable or when the horse is suffering.  One of those horses came to us in spring 2014, a beautiful two-year old paint mare named “Capri.”  Law enforcement required the owner to surrender this horse, and when DCFHR volunteers arrived to pick up the horse discovered that the owner had overfed the little horse, ridden it hard, and fed it more while the horse was out of breath from being ridden.  The food was aspirated into the horse’s lungs, which caused pneumonia and eventually, pleurisy.  For two weeks we fought to save Capri’s life; not a day went by that Capri didn’t have a temperature from 98.2 - 104.  A generous DCFHR supporter paid for Capri to be taken to the University of Florida veterinary school in one last ditch effort to save the horse’s life, but Capri was too sick and her entire body was filled with infection.  Capri was brought back to Dancing Cloud Farm, humanely euthanized, and buried here in a pasture, and our hearts were much sadder because we had tried so hard to save her.



One of the foals brought to DCFHR in the July 2008 rescue that began Dancing Cloud Farm Horse Rescue, Inc., was a black foal we named “Princess.”  Up until the time she was three years old, Princess was the ugly duckling of the pasture:  gangly legs, a roany-looking black filly who was a little bit of a hardhead, and Princess was just a “regular-looking horse.”  Then, in the spring of her third year when she shed her winter coat, lo and behold:  Princess turned a beautiful dapple gray with black stockings.  In 2013, Jan from Griffin, Georgia, adopted Princess.  And here’s a picture of Princess and Jan taken July 5, 2014!  Thank you, Jan, for giving Princess a wonderful new home!  Another happy ending, and we love happy endings!



Sweet Calypso has been adopted by Krissy near Perry, Georgia!


Handsome Jake, probably one of the most perfect horses ever to walk our pastures, has been adopted by Jesse and now lives in his forever home near Perry, Georgia.




Beautiful Reba is now a resident of Indiana.  Many thanks to June for adopting Reba and giving her the loving home and care she deserves.


Spice has been adopted by Liz in Grady County, Georgia

Layla &


Beautiful Layla and her sweet little colt “Dude” came to DCFHR in late November 2013.  Layla was terribly underweight, wormy, and completely distrustful of humans -- she obviously was used to severe mistreatment.  Little “Dude,” however, was almost 10 months old and was so malnourished that he looked to be only 4 months old.  He was so weak that he could not stand up by himself.  For the first eight days that Dude was at DCFHR, he stayed in a stall in deep pine shavings, and every morning DCFHR volunteers would lift him to his feet.  We would clean the stall and clean him as if he were a big baby.  He was so weak that when we lifted him to his feet, he couldn’t stand up more than about five minutes before he’d flop back down, completely exhausted from the effort.  On the ninth day, he stood up by himself, and now, a year later, he has been adopted to a home that loves him dearly and given him the nutrition he desperately needed.  Dude is still behind on the growth chart because he was starved in the critical growing months, but he is healthy and very much a part of his new family.


Sunny This beautiful thoroughbred mare came to DCFHR during an animal cruelty investigation.  She was wormy; her feet were in horrible condition; her teeth needed floating so badly that she had ulcers in her mouth; and she couldn't close her mouth to chew because her teeth were so long and sharp.  Her coat and skin were in terrible condition from rain rot and starvation.  All we knew about the horse was her lip tattoo that began with "H."  Several weeks after the seizure of this horse, DCFHR received a call from Ohio:  The caller had seen the news report on a horse magazine's Facebook page about the animal cruelty case; she had sold a beautiful mare to the individual involved; was there any possibly that we had the horse ... a sorrel thoroughbred mare with white markings?  Umm, well, we have several sorrel mares with white markings...could the caller please give additional identification?  Tentatively and tearfully she described a hind sock, a star...and a tattoo that began with "H."  We had her!  All that time we had referred to the horse as "H," and now she had a name:  "Sunny."  We rejoiced with the former owner that her beloved horse had been found, was safe, and was on the road to recovery.  And a few weeks after that, "Sunny" stepped aboard a horse transport that took her home to Ohio!  WE LOVE HAPPY ENDINGS!!!!!

Chance & Coco Like we have discovered so often, if we can keep a horse long enough the Right Person will come along to provide a forever home for a horse that seems to have no hope of ever being adopted. Handsome "Chance" has a slight limp from an old injury that prevents him from ever being used in the show ring again; "Coco" is a healthy and strong 22-year-old dependable trail horse who really needs light riding only to stay in shape. Both horses had been at DCFHR for over a year, and it didn't seem like either one would ever find forever homes because of their limitations.

  And then along came Aimee and Michael. Their family has been through a grinder of physical and emotional stress the past 18 months since Aimee was diagnosed with cancer, so they came to DCFHR looking for two older, gentle geldings that needed homes; these horses would be used to help Aimee in her healing from several surgeries and would be an activity the whole family could work together on, to refocus away from the cancer. Aimee and Michael fell in love with Chance (now renamed "Chaim," the Hebrew word for "life"), and Coco is now named "Cochav" (which means "star.")

  Aimee writes, "I am doing well, recovering from another surgery. Praying this is the last one! Being around horses has always been very therapeutic for me, and Chaim, with his little gimp on the left front is like me with my gimp in the left front. I talk to him about how both of us were given a second chance and how we will be riding again soon. That is when he gives me kisses.  So far we have not ridden. Mike helped me up to sit on Chaim once and that was the greatest moment I have had since this fight with cancer began a year and a half ago. I felt like my old self, like nothing had ever happened, and I don't want it to end."


Lil' Joe THIS IS WHAT A STOLEN HORSE LOOKS LIKE.  (This is one of at least three stolen horses that have come to DCFHR.)

How does a person steal a horse this big?  Simple.  Present yourself as a legitimate business, schmooze the horse owner into thinking the horse is going to a wonderful new life, give the owner false information, talk the owner into letting you take the horse for a trial period, and then…disappear from radar.  Never return phone calls.  Move from one place to the next. Leave no forwarding address.  Always have an excuse.  Lie. Deceive one person and then another.

When DCFHR volunteers first saw this horse we named “Lil Joe,” he was abandoned in a wet cow pasture.  He didn’t know it, but the landowner was getting ready to lease the land and since he had no use for a horse, had already contacted a slaughter buyer to come get the horse out of his pasture.  Lil’ Joe’s sad eyes haunted us; it was winter and he was hungry, cold, wet, miserable.  The landowner wanted money before he would let DCFHR rescue the horse, the same amount he would have gotten from the slaughter buyer plus money for the “care” and whatever rotten hay the horse had been offered.  A good friend of the horses at DCFHR stepped in and paid the ransom for this horse.

“Lil Joe” loaded easily onto the biggest horse trailer we could find and was brought to DCFHR for care.  His hooves were in a mess, he had some thrush because of the swampy land he had been surviving on, his mane and tail were matted, he was dirty, and he looked down at us with skepticism that life was ever going to get better.

We had to find a farrier that worked on those big hooves.  We had to stand on boxes to be tall enough to groom the boy.  Volunteer Lis spent hours one day untangling the mats and knots in his mane, tail, and legs.  His teeth needed floating.  Lil’ Joe’s head was so big it wouldn’t fit in a feed bucket, and he was so hungry that he would dump the feed over in order to get to it faster; we found an old bathtub and put it into use as Lil’ Joe’s feed station.  With a horse that big, one tube of dewormer wouldn’t do the trick.  And we were all very, VERY careful not to get stepped on.

One day visitors – Stuart and Joan – came to DCFHR; neither of them ride horses - they were looking for a pony to have as a “pasture ornament,” just something that would be a pet and add spark to their view from the front porch as they enjoyed retirement.   We showed them around, then left them alone to look around in the pony pasture and went back to work.  About forty minutes later, Stuart walked up, grinning sheepishly from ear to ear, and said, “I’ve found my pony--” and pointed at Lil’ Joe.  And one day a week later, Lil’ Joe boarded that big horse trailer again and went to live at Stuart and Joan’s house.  He has become a beloved family member, not just a pasture ornament.

But wait.  The story doesn’t end there. 

Two months after Lil’ Joe’s adoption, DCFHR received a call from someone near Atlanta, asking for information on her Belgian gelding “Luke” and all his equipment that had been stolen from her the year before.  She had been looking constantly since then, had made the four-hour trip to our area twice to find her horse, its wagon, and the equipment and trailer.  She had filed theft reports with law enforcement. She had been referred to us by a sheriff’s office who said maybe we could help.  We emailed her photos of Lil’ Joe, and she emailed us all the ownership documents, including photos of the horse, copies of receipts, and the State of Georgia vehicle registration paperwork for the trailer that hauled Luke’s wagon, harness, and other equipment, all stolen. 

 “Lil’ Joe” was definitely her missing horse “Luke.”

She described the special way she would call Luke, a combination of whistle and call.

It was a bittersweet moment in that we had solved part of a puzzle, but we had to tell Stuart and Joan.  After our phone call with the news, Stuart walked out onto his front porch; Lil’ Joe was grazing contentedly in the pasture below.  Stuart whistled and called out, “LUKE!” and Lil’ Joe’s head snapped up in recognition.  Thinking they were going to lose Lil’ Joe, Stuart and Joan sat on their front porch and cried.

We explained to Luke’s owner how her horse had been adopted by a wonderful retired couple and now lived in a beautiful home and is considered a member of their family.  The owner was relieved and satisfied and graciously released Luke to Stuart and Joan's care permanently.

Although the harness, wagon, and trailer have never been recovered, the horse is safe.  Stuart has his beloved “pony,” and we at Dancing Cloud Farm Horse Rescue, Inc., are grateful for having had the opportunity to save another wonderful horse.  WE LOVE HAPPY ENDINGS!!


Every Detail 

Now living in Tennessee with Taylor.


Rio Daisy (left) and Rio, who came to us in 2009. Rio is an OTTB and is a longterm resident here at DCFHR. Rio was as starved as Daisy when he first arrived, and the toxins from drugs given to him on the racetrack caused him to have to grow new hooves; he had mysterious sores and strange things going on with his fur/skin, also; it took him about a year to fully cleanse his body of the poisons given him.  Rio is a BIG thoroughbred gelding and Daisy a BIG AQHA mare, and they seemed to sense they were similar.  On several occasions we found them looking as if they were deep in conversation.


Gem Gem arrived at DCFHR after being seized in an animal abuse case.  Gem now lives near Gainesville, Florida, adopted by Anastasia. 


Tucker This wonderful gelding LOVED !!! his stall, LOVED the blankets we put on him, spent all afternoon soaking up warm winter sun.  For the first months Tucker was at DCFHR, we kept him  double-blanketed at night since he had absolutely no fat reserves to keep himself warm.  In one picture, the barn cat decided to see what type of high observation post she could have on Tucker’s back but was disappointed because he was starved and his backbone jutted up.  Not a good, flat perch!!  Tucker was adopted by Edna in Hahira, Georgia, and is now a fat, sleek child’s horse.


Tigger Adopted by Angela in Greensboro, FL. (Tigger is pictured on the left)

Mandy This beautiful mare was saved by Triple R Horse Rescue in Tallahassee, Florida.  She was too weak to make the trip to her foster home and was brought to Dancing Cloud Farm Horse Rescue, Inc., first for evaluation and to begin her refeeding.  Mandy is now a healthy and sleek black mare thanks to Triple R’s foster home care!


"Cash" has been adopted by the Alford family in Thomas County, Georgia


Nick Nick came to DCFHR on November 10, a skeleton of a horse who still had spirit but no hope to survive the winter. He was found in an overgrown pasture after the owners died and family members came to prepare the property for sale. Many, MANY thanks to everyone who has contributed to Nick's special needs as we slowly brought him back to life. And MANY thanks x 1,000 to DCFHR supporter and friend Karen who has given Nick a forever home.  Many thanks (and recommendations for) Horse Carriage Transport of Lake City, Florida, for giving Nick a comfortable and safe ride to his new home near Crossville, Tennessee. 


These pictures of Nick were taken 6 weeks apart.

Rudy Rudy came to DCFHR a starved, neglected, and hopeless foal.  Animal control officers and a local sheriff’s office seized Rudy and got him out of a desperate situation. Janet in Colquitt County, Georgia, took Rudy as a training project, and look at Rudy now! We are deeply grateful to Janet for seeing the potential in Rudy and giving this boy what he needed -- including a forever home!  We love happy endings!


Diego Diego will be going to the trainer and then to a foster home in Grady County, Georgia


Cheyenne Teenage mare mom "Cheyenne" came into DCFHR's care in February 2012 during a law enforcement seizure.  Cheyenne was starved, barely a BCS 2, and five days later miraculously gave birth to a handsome colt.  Here is Cheyenne and proud new owner Janet of Colquitt County, Georgia.  Janet has taught Cheyenne using Parelli techniques.  Many thanks to Janet for restoring this mare to beauty and for providing Cheyenne a loving forever home. 


Mariah "Mariah" is undoubtedly the wildest horse DCFHR ever handled!  She was brought to us during an animal abuse seizure operation.  Mariah was hurt, totally distrustful of any human, and had a quick left kick that would light you up.  Then along came volunteer Lis who spent hours and hours gaining Mariah's trust.  The photos tell the story from wild horse to sort-of-wild horse.  Lis was the ONLY human Mariah allowed in her space.  Lis was able to get the knots out of Mariah' mane and eventually brush out the club that was Mariah's tail, and Mariah didn't kick Lis.  When Lis worked with Mariah, the rest of us stayed a hundred miles away and let the magic happen.  Trainer William Alford fell in love with Mariah and has been working with her, but Mariah may never be tamed.  For now, Mariah is safe and enjoying life in a great pasture with other horses, wild and free as the wind she was named after.


Lily Talk about a CINDERELLA story!!   "Lily" was brought to DCFHR for emergency care after she was seized by the court in an animal abuse case.  Lily was only about 18 months old at the time, confined to a squalid pen, no hay, filthy water.  Her tail was a matted club; she was loaded with worms and absolutely filthy; her eyes showed total hopelessness. This was one of those horses that, although she didn't have much training, knew help had arrived and knew she had to move even through the noise and confusion and with totally unknown humans.  Lily stayed in our Green Bananas herd for almost two years.  Trainer William Alford turned Lily into a beautiful trail horse, and now Lily has been adopted into a wonderful new home with Sandra near Stone Mountain, Georgia.  Many, MANY thanks to all who helped save Lily.



Sister "Sister" with devoted new owner, Charity (Thomas County, GA).

Ella "Ella" is a former racehorse that at one point sold for $47,000; she was in over 60 races, from what we could find out.  Ella is an excellent riding horse, but no one wanted her because she's a cribber.  Then along came Donna who fell in love with Ella and has become Ella's best friend.  Donna has provided for Ella's total care.   Many, many thanks to Donna and all our adoptive and foster homes who open up their hearts to horses that don't quite fit the "perfect horse" category.

Dreamer Beautiful Appaloosa gelding "Dreamer" has been adopted by a 4-H rider in Thomas County, Georgia, and has a wonderful, loving home. 


Buckles Buckles has found his forever home with Sonya of Lee County, GA.


DCFHR was asked to pick up 6-month-old Scarlett from a piece of property that was going to be sold; she had been there since her owner decided to wean her from her mother, and then left the filly there.  For months!!  All Scarlett had to eat was tree bark and weeds; the only available water was in a hole that had been excavated for fill dirt -- a steep five-foot drop into muddy water.  Scarlett had never been handled, but she was so weak from starvation and desperate for food that when she smelled feed on the trailer, she soon stepped on board.  Four years later, Annette of Stone Mountain, Georgia, adopted Scarlett.

Sierra Sierra and proud new owner, Lis (Grady County, Georgia)

Flave Flave and Natalie (Lee County, Georgia)

Brandy Brandy with happy new owner, Jeannette (Grady County, Georgia). 


Madam Rue Registered Shetland pony, adopted by Norma of Star K Stables (Lee County, GA).

Gus What a story this horse has to tell!  Five years ago Gus was a high-level competition show horse in Los Angeles, California.  The teenaged girl who leased him outgrew Gus’ capabilities and returned him to his owners in Sacramento, who didn’t want him because of his age.  Gus was destined for the slaughter house.  One of the trainers at the Sacramento barn who had ridden and shown Gus and worked with him for years was absolutely horrified that this perfectly-trained, well-behaved, beautiful horse with so much to offer was being cast off because he was in his teens and no longer profitable for the owners, and she asked the owners if she could have him.  They said yes, but he had to be out of their barn.  This trainer had already accepted a job in South Carolina, had already loaded her truck and horse trailer for the move; she went home, unloaded furniture, gave away “stuff,” and made a small space in the back of her horse trailer for Gus.  He rode cross-country, crammed in the back of that trailer, but it was his ride to life.  When they arrived in South Carolina, the trainer found a boarding facility for Gus, but her job was much more demanding and required much more travel than she anticipated. Because she couldn’t give Gus the care he needed, the trainer called us and asked if we would take Gus.  After work that day, she drove eight hours to bring Gus to DCFHR.  One of our volunteers, Elizabeth, took Gus as her special project and not only brought him back to health and restored his good looks but also mentioned him to Kim, who works at Jeffers Vet Supply in Dothan, Alabama.  Kim came to see Gus, fell in love, and Gus has his forever home in Alabama with Kim.  He is the star of the show both in Kim’s heart and the front cover model on this Jeffer’s catalog!


Belle with happy new owners Lis and Walton of Griffin, Georgia


Nevada had a hard time finding a home because he was a 20-year-old mustang gelding from...Nevada.  He was a solid, competent trail horse who liked to follow, definitely not lead or go out alone.  Nevada may have been used as a pack horse.  Whatever his history, no one was really interested in this calm, regal mustang, and then...along came Bruce who took one look at Nevada and said, "I want him."  Now, Nevada is part of Bruce's family. 


Shasta is now living near Tallahassee.


Look at him now!



Caitlyn, a nurse, was looking for her first horse, and Tony was the perfect match!  Caitlyn renamed him "Dakota," and he has been her faithful horse and faithful friend.  Thank you, Caitlyn, for giving Dakota a forever, loving home in Sumter County, Georgia.



Hannah - OTTB's (Off the Track Thoroughbreds) can be very hard to find homes for. Many thoroughbreds, when their racing days are over, are picked up from the racetracks and taken straight to the slaughterhouse.  (Two Kentucky Derby winners (!) have gone to slaughter!) Those OTTBs (like DCFHR's longterm resident, Rio) who are fortunate enough to find a home, are not always easy to retrain into riding or competition horses.  "Hannah" was one of those rare OTTBs whose former owner left the horse racing world and moved to Georgia...but brought his horses with him.  When the nation's economy began its downturn, the owner lost his job.  To keep his horses fed, he sold his truck, then his horse trailer, then his cars and drove "beaters," but he kept his horses fed.  Eventually, the eviction notice came.  Broken, he called a horse rescue in Kentucky for help. In the rescue's office at the very moment his call came in was someone from Georgia, a person who privately rescues and finds homes for OTTBs.  She knew about Dancing Cloud Farm Horse Rescue, and within minutes, Hannah's owner was calling DCFHR, asking if we could help save his pets.  Hannah came to DCFHR but was very hard to place because of her size, strength, and the rocket fuel that runs in her veins.  Then...along came Shane of Lowndes County, Georgia!  Shane rode Hannah one time and fell head over heels in love with this beautiful mare.  Hannah now has a forever home with Shane.



Many DCFHR supporters will remember these shocking photos of "Gigi," a registered quarter horse mare brought to Dancing Cloud Farm in November 2010.  We want you to see what happens when you send your financial support to Dancing Cloud Farm Horse Rescue, Inc., because you are as vital to the mission of Dancing Cloud Farm Horse Rescue, Inc., as we are.  Thank you for saving Gigi's life.  She is a resident now of Star K Stables in Leesburg, Georgia.  Norma Karst, owner of Star K Stables, and her staff have done a wonderful job finishing out Gigi's rehabilitation.  Look at Gigi now!!



In September 2010, volunteers responded to a report about a skinny horse that had been abandoned on property that was up for sale.  Witnesses told us that the week before we arrived to pick up Dallas, someone had tried to load Dallas in a dirty cattle trailer to take him to the slaughter auction.  When the horse refused, he was whipped in an attempt to scare him into loading (or because the humans loading him lost their temper).  Before the humans gave up their attempt to force Dallas into the trailer, he had been beaten so harshly that he was lying on the ground at the back of the trailer, covered in sweat and foam, sides heaving, absolutely terrified and in pain.  When DCFHR volunteers arrived to bring Dallas to the farm, we had to work through his fear of that previous experience.  Two hours of coaxing, praying, pulling, and after using every trick in the book we could think of, Dallas FINALLY loaded onto the trailer.  Over the next few months, Dallas had to learn to load onto a trailer if he wanted his supper.  Dallas is now at Star K Stables in Leesburg, Georgia, and has turned into a beautiful riding horse.  Norma Karst describes Dallas as "the sweetest hardhead she's ever known."  


Tinker Bell

APHA mare, Tinker Bell Money, foaled January 31, 2007 has also left DCFHR for her forever home.



"Hee-haw!"        "Hee-haw!"

In September 2011, DCFHR was contacted by a local animal shelter:  nine donkeys had been abandoned; could we help?  Animal shelters are not set up for equines.   For the first two days of their stay at DCFHR, the herd would not let anyone get near them, and then…  We couldn’t go out in the pasture without having donkeys in front of us, beside us, behind us, under us, on top of us…  And whereas horses are QUIET, donkeys are not!  They watched the back door keenly.  Any movement brought a chorus of “Hee haw!  Hee haw!”   It was great fun having the donkeys here at DCFHR, and we have been able to adopt out all of them as companion animals and pasture protectors.   

During the time the donkeys were at the farm, DCFHR caretakers learned new lessons:   (1) Donkeys wrote the procedures manual on being stubborn.  (2)  We had to move the water troughs farther away from the electric fence because when the donkeys put their noses into the trough to drink, their long ears touched the hot wire.   (3) Dogs and coyotes best not venture into the pasture. Our research into donkeys (and this is important for anyone owning a donkey):  Donkeys may look similar to horses, but don’t let that fool anyone.  Donkeys require good pasture and hay but should not be given feed; they are tough animals and every one of the donkeys at DCFHR had wonderful personalities.  Donkeys founder easily.  Two of the donkeys DCFHR took in had been foundered; their hooves were long and deformed.  Corrective farrier work takes months, but the two donkeys that needed this type of care were adopted by people who will make sure they get good farrier care.    

Freckles the Donkey is sporting her new fly mask.  Believe me, this looks a whole lot different at 10:00 at night when we go out to check everything one last time for the night and Freckles quietly tiptoes up behind us and we turn around and see THIS.

Donkeys love to take dirt baths, so here they have dug out their own "wallow" next to a ditch bank.






On March 1, 2009, in a rare South Georgia sleet and snowstorm, DCFHR volunteers picked up a pitifully starved skeleton of a horse, “Sundance.”  At the time, he was a stallion, which is probably the main reason he was able to survive the starvation and the conditions he lived in.  This little horse was so emaciated and dehydrated that he was within hours of dying when DCFHR picked him up.  We could almost lift him up and put him on the trailer.  Because of his fragile condition and because of the bitterly cold winter weather we were experiencing at the time, Sundance spent his first three days at DCFHR living in the four-horse trailer.  Sundance is a small horse, so when the trailer stall dividers were completely opened up, he had plenty of space to move.  Being kept in the trailer protected Sundance from the icy winds; he had absolutely no body fat to protect him, and we weren’t sure that he was going to survive.  Volunteers worked with him around the clock for those three days, and poor Sundance showed very little spirit.  He was one of the worst cases of starvation and neglect that DCFHR has ever handled, a Body Condition Score of less than “1”.

The pictures below were taken the day Sundance arrived at DCFHR.
Click on each of the pictures below for a larger view


We have learned that when horses arrive at DCFHR in this condition, the first three days are critical.  During that time, we pour love, attention, medical care, and nutrition into the horse.  On the third day, we always find  sparkle and life in the eyes and behavior of the horse; the head is held higher, we see anticipation rather than defeat in its eyes.  And this is what happened with Sundance.

The pictures tell the rest of the story.  Many, many, MANY thanks to our supporters who contributed towards the rehabilitation and care of this beautiful horse.  Sundance is now a much-loved, much-pampered, much-treasured pet, is taken to horse shows, is ridden by children, and travels to family trail rides. 

Without DCFHR, this horse’s story would have had a tragic ending.




Paris came to us from Terrie in Miller County.  Terrie had rescued Paris and had taken this mare through the critical initial refeeding stages and saved her life.  Paris is now a healthy 6-year-old QH mare and has found a forever home. 

She is our Cinderella story for 2010, going from absolute starvation and destined for the slaughterhouse sale to being the princess at the ball.  Many thanks to Jennifer who adopted Paris and has given her a great new home.

Paris now lives in Lee County, Georgia, where she has found a forever home with two young girls who have made Paris their very best friend.  Paris loves all the attention.



We all work together for the good of the horses.  Many thanks to Donna in Terrell County who took in Scout on a moment’s notice and took care of him until DCFHR volunteers could move him to more permanent quarters.  Scout’s next angels of mercy were Laureen and her family who provided paddock space and a stall for Scout through the winter.  DCFHR volunteer Cheryl fed and cared for Scout, fell in love with him, and eventually adopted him!   Scout is now a beautiful gelding, has been ridden on trail rides, and is a symbol of what our work is all about:  to rescue, rehabilitate, and relocate horses in dire need of a second chance.

Scout and two pasture mates, a mare and a donkey, were seized by sheriff’s deputies during an animal abuse investigation.  Sadly, because of a horrific injury and infection, the mare had to be euthanized.  Someone provided a new home for the donkey, which was starved and covered with rain rot.


(Above:  Phantom with his new owner, Janice)

PHANTOM HAS A FOREVER HOME!!  We are so excited for this beautiful boy, who has been a long-term resident at DCFHR.  Phantom cannot be ridden safely and needed a job as a pasture ornament, just a pet for someone to love.  Along came Janice who last year lost her husband to cancer.  Janice, an animal lover,  needed Phantom to help fill a hole in her life.  

 We thank all of our supporters who have donated to keep Phantom fed  and cared for until a forever home could be found.  We could not do this work without you.  Thank you from the bottom of our heart.





FANCY:  One of the first horses that came to Dancing Cloud Farm was "Fancy," a smooth gaited walking horse mare.  When she arrived at DCFHR, she was underweight, covered in rain rot, and loaded with parasites.  Fancy kept to herself and was at the bottom of the pecking order in the pasture.  As she put on weight, we began to notice that Fancy was going to be a mother.  On March 17, 2009, after a night of thunderstorms, we found Fancy in the pasture with a beautiful filly foal by her side.  We named the foal, "Stormy."  Fancy was adopted by Lisa of Lake City, Florida, and has her forever home there.  Fancy was an excellent mother; her gentle, sweet spirit captured our hearts.  Thank you, DCFHR supporters, who took care of Fancy’s needs while she was waiting for her forever home.    

(Above:  Fancy with her new owner, Lisa, in Florida.)


Taffy was adopted by someone who took her to Canada, where she was sold

Danish Embrace





Miracle's hindquarters

Miracle's hindquarters  8/14/08


Veterinarians use a body conditioning scoring standard from 1 - 9 based on areas on a horse's body where fat and muscle develop.  A horse with a BCS of 9 would be obese; a horse rated at 4, 5, or 6 would be considered healthy and at the correct weight and muscle tone. Miracle's BCS was only a 1.

Click here to see more photos of Miracle

The little mare in these photos was named "Miracle" by our volunteers because it is a miracle she survived.  Miracle arrived at Dancing Cloud Farm Horse Recue as an emaciated, three-year old, covered with rain rot.  She staggered, stumbled, and kept her head down.  She had a terrible respiratory infection and was so weak that she had to lie down much of the time and could hardly eat.  We owe a huge debt of gratitude to the doctors and assistants with Clanton - Malphus - Hodges Veterinary Hospital for their immediate care and expert advice in saving the lives of Miracle and the other rescued horses.

We also thank our volunteers who gave of their time and offered gentle hands, encouragement, and kind words to Miracle and all the horses that came in July, 2008.  The volunteer's simple acts of kindness to these animals gave hope and strengthened their will to survive.

Miracle has been adopted and has a forever home in Albany, Georgia.

Click here to see more photos of Miracle



Patches, now at home in Tennessee, with Chanda. Patches arrived at DCFHR a weak, hungry skeleton, with a baby by her side and another on the way. She is allergic to bahia grass; our options were to put her down or get her north -- we chose north. Sunkissed Acres Horse Rescue in Summerville, Georgia, found her a forever home in Tennessee. Here is Patches, four months after her rescue, fat and happy and safe in Tennessee. Thanks to Debora, Angela, Dan, Lori, and Chanda for saving Patches.


Pistol arrived at DCFHR with his mother, who was in desperate need of food, water, and care; she was also allergic to the bahia grass of this area of the South.  Once Pistol was weaned, we were able to take his mother, Patches (see her picture above), north, and from there she was adopted by Chanda in Tennessee. 

Pistol was full of spunk and mischief, and that' how he earned his name:  he was a pistol to deal with.  Angie (Lee County, Georgia) adopted Pistol, and he is her blue-eyed baby!


Diamond, a two-year-old gaited mare, came to Dancing Cloud Farm Horse Rescue with her mother and her mother's new foal.  She had never been properly weaned, and was a wild cayuse with a quick left kick.

Her "family" had been removed from an area of pine woods with sand and no source of water.  When she arrived, she didn't drink water for a whole day; we were all very concerned.  The next day as the water tanks were being refilled, the volunteers were talking and not watching the water, and the tank filled up, ran over, and the water filled a hoofprint.  Diamond, desperate with thirst, began drinking the dirty water from the hoofprint, which showed that that was where she had gotten her water before.  She didn't know about water troughs.


       Pictured above (left) is Diamond on July 8, 2008             Pictured above (right) is Diamond on July 8, 2009

Over the next 2 1/2 months, Diamond filled out, allowed humans to touch her, and was easily halter broken.  She has been adopted by Dee and has a forever home in Brooksville, Florida. 

Diamond's Story - In her own words. . .                  

Today I have learned to let the halter be put on, mostly 'cuz I love to have my ears scratched.  So what if this gadget has to go on my nose?  Just keep scratchin'.  Now this lead rope business is a little trickly!  But if I stop pulling back, it's not so bad and I seem to get a treat every time.  (I like having my ears scratched!) And I don't mind her pickin' up my front feet so much, but aren't I supposed to kick with my back feet?  I don't think the two-legged likes that very much, but she kept on pickin' 'em up anyway so why not let her hold me up if she's all that fired up about it.  I like trying new stuff even when I'm scared, something good always comes with it.

                                                                                           Thank you for saving me,